Re: Arla (Re: RFC: Removing old ncurses versions)

Sam Hartman <hartmans@debian.org> writes:

>     Mikael> Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> writes:
>     >> On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 06:24:32PM -0400, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
>     >>
>     >> > If nobody objects, I'll file a bug against ftp.debian.org to
>     >> have arla > removed.  Its two grave bugs (1 year/92 days and
>     >> 270 days old) have never > received any response from the
>     >> maintainer.  It didn't make it into potato, > probably because
>     >> of these bugs, and it won't make it into woody either, > unless
>     >> someone adopts it.  It probably doesn't even work with recent
>     >> kernels, > while OpenAFS does and is actively being developed
>     >> and maintained.
>     >>
>     >> According to the project page at
>     >> http://www.stacken.kth.se/projekt/arla/, arla seems to still be
>     >> under active development.  I guess it just needs a new
>     >> maintainer.  Is it appropriate to file an O: wnpp bug for it?
>
>     Mikael> If I remember it right the maintainer (gstark@mit.edu)
>     Mikael> already have orphaned it. I have begun the work of a new
>     Mikael> version of the packages, but I not done yet. I haven't
>     Mikael> filed a bug against wnpp about it yet, because I want to
>     Mikael> be sure that I can handle it. It compiles with never
>     Mikael> version now, but I still have to figure out how to create
>     Mikael> a source package for the kernel module.
>
>     Mikael> And I'm looking for a sponsor :-)
> I can probably help with the modules source package and with
> sponsorship.

I have an other sponsor for another package (flink), wish say that he will
look at it, but I don't think that he has access to an afs cell.

> You may wish to look at openafs's debian/rules for how
> to set up the source package.

Today I have a combination of pcmcia and mol, but I will checkout the
openafs version.

Is openafs in debian or is it still distributed from openafs.org?

I'm not totaly sure that openafs-client and arla should conflict, but I
want to discuss it with you.
In my situation i want to use some of the afs programs (pts,vos,bos) but
still want to use the arla client (dynroot, not hanging when offline etc)
and the arla favor of the afsprograms (pts,vos,bos) wish is not always as
fully implemented as the afs one's, but sometimes have some feature I
want.
Is it possible to create an /etc/alternatives/pts pointing to either
openafs-pts or arla-pts?

Mikael