Re: potato -> woody upgrade not smooth...

On Thu, 5 Jul 2001, Joost Kooij wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 03:09:26PM +0200, T.Pospisek's MailLists wrote:
> > On Thu, 5 Jul 2001, Joost Kooij wrote:
> >
> > > Dselect is telling you.  It did not do anything but give you a choice.
> >
> > It's not. It's messing up *my* choices.
>
> Not correct.  You set them when you hit enter to confirm your selections.

Oh yes, he's correct.

At first, dselect handles recommends as depends. Only after that, you can
switch off recommended packages and not install them. That's confusing.

dselect shows all packages, also those you don't want to see, or don't
need to see. That's confusing too.

Especially to unexperienced users, dselect is a very confusing
tool. apt-get, although far from perfect, does not have this flaw.

But apt-get does have another flaw: it completely ignores recommends and
suggests. It's not even possible to give it command-line switches to make
it show or install recommends and suggestions. If apt-get would have
these, it would IMHO be perfect.

--
wouter dot verhelst at advalvas in belgium

www.debian.org
resistance is futile, you will be packaged...