Re: potato -> woody upgrade not smooth...

On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 12:03:15PM +0200, Joost Kooij wrote:
> What's next, file a bug against rm, because "it nuked my system"?
> Lets put an alias for rm to 'rm -i' in /etc/profile.  It's a standard,
> because I read about it in a book that was on sale in the used book store,
> it was standing next to the books about wordstar and msdos 3.22.

on a side note, this really shits me (dists that set this up anywhere (such as
root on redhat))

admitteldy it was probably my own fault, but recently a friend was visiting
who had only ever been exposed to linux through an operating systems class in
his uni course, in this class they get to sit around and play with a bunch of
redhat boxes logged in as root. His only experience ever with rm was the
redhat rm -i

so sitting infront of my comptuer he typed "rm *" in my home directory, and of
course was shocked when it didnt prompt him or anything, I really should know
better than to think idiots sit in front of my computer, alas this seems to be
encouraged by society in general.

though I do have a valid gripe with the rm -i as root thing, the sysadmin is
not meant to be stupid, if they want to do something stupid let them. it is a
shame this is not always the case...

        See You
            Steve

--