Re: potato -> woody upgrade not smooth...

Previously Gustavo Noronha Silva wrote:
> I just don't think apt should act like that... I am able to
> do this installation with apt using a somewhat brute-force
> method (apt-get install xbase-clients xfonts...) but I just
> don't think a good answer to the problem is 'use dselect'...

That is not true. apt-get is a simple command-line tool to help you
do simple installation and basic upgrades. It does use the
rich set of package relations that Debian offers into account though
and will ignore Recommends and Suggets relations. To take advantage
of those in order to ensure a better upgrade or installation you
need a proper frontend to the package management system, which is
a tool like dselect or aptitude.

> apt is meant to be the default package management tool AFAIK
> and even dselect uses it now, so apt should be able to work this
> around

apt is not the same thing as apt-get. apt (or rather, libapt-pkg) is a
complex library that can perform all kinds of package management tasks.
apt-get is a simple frontend that allows you to use some of that
functionality through a simple commandline tool.

> I'm doing the reverse... I keep spreading that apt is quite
> easier to work with and I don't want to have to use dselect
> to upgrade my system, apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
> should do it, no?

No, for the reasons above.

Wichert.

 /       Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool     \
| wichert@wiggy.net                   http://www.liacs.nl/~wichert/ |