Re: LSB specification of runlevels

On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 12:47:44PM +0200, Dominik Kubla wrote:

> As it is the use of runlevel 5 for xdm clashes with the well-known
> practice of having it rebooting the system to firmware level on System V-
> based systems (most notably Sun's).  Granted that is something the
> typical PC user does not need, but since linux works on Sun's as well...

This was discussed, but apparently there a number of Linux books
already published which talk about using telinit 5 to enable X.  So
while there was some appeal to changing runlevel 5 to synchronize with
the rest of the world had some appeal, Alan Cox argued that to do so
would violate the principle of least surprise for novice users in a
very nasty way.

						- Ted