Re: LSB specification of runlevels

On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 08:42:45AM +0000, Lars Wirzenius wrote:

> It does happen, even if the number of people doing it isn't all that
> large, compared to the total number of people running Linux. Since
> customizing runlevels is allowed, and will continue to be allowed, LSB
> packages can't make assumptions about and therefore the LSB shouldn't
> specify the meanings.

As it is the use of runlevel 5 for xdm clashes with the well-known
practice of having it rebooting the system to firmware level on System V-
based systems (most notably Sun's).  Granted that is something the
typical PC user does not need, but since linux works on Sun's as well...

I would like to see we follow System V (and LSB be dammned for specifying
otherwise!):

0 = halt and power off
1 = administration
2 = multi-user, no resources exported to the network
3 = multi-user, resources exported to the network
5 = reboot to firmware
6 = reboot to default run-level

Dominik
--
          A lovely thing to see:                   Kobayashi Issa
     through the paper window's holes               (1763-1828)