Re: real LSB compliance

Theodore Tso wrote:

One thing which is somewhat personally frustrating in terms of LSB and
working with Debian is that it's hard to find anyone who can actually
speak for Debian in any kind of binding way.  So suppose we get some
volunteers, and they help out with the LSB, and we come up with a
released LSB 1.1 --- is that going to be any different from the
situation we have now?

Debian is run democratically.

Im sure your dont expect every suse, redhat or mandrake empoyee to agree with the LSB either.

There is a technical committee, (see debian constitution point number 6, http://www.debian.org/devel/constitution) which to my understanding can be bought in to resolve issues such as this.

Try and take the comments expressed here constructively, we do have a habit of speaking our mind here (sometimes regretting it later on), and are all passionate about or work... it is a labour of love.

I think you should have expected a backlash from the debian community, i did express concerns on the LSB mailing list a few month ago about using RPM's and the commercial focus of LSB, it was explained to me that LSB is really to help commercial vendors, and that you were keen to get something out sooner rather than later because the process was taking too long. I concluded that there wasnt much in the LSB for debian.

Also there is more to debian than just Linux, GNU/Hurd and *BSD are works in progress as well,

I do appreciate you hanging around and answer the various emails.

Glenn