Re: /var/samba -> /var/state/samba script

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 12:29:53PM -0500, Steve Greenland wrote:
> On 03-Jul-01, 05:46 (CDT), Steven Hanley <sjh@svana.org> wrote:
> >
> > seems /var/samba with a samba-data user and /var/ftp with a ftp-data
> > user are already there by precedent, if you had actually stated the
> > case correctly.
>
> Nope, that's the problem. Someone stored their data in /var/samba, which
> was created (incorrectly) by the samba package for its own use; when
> the package moved /var/samba to (incorrectly again, but closer :-))
> /var/state/samba, it also moved (or possibly erased, I forget) the user
> data.

  Correct, the samba package was "corrected" and the samba internal files
  were moved from an incorrect /var/samba to a more correct /var/state/samba.

  The directory /var/samba is now free for keeping your shares on.

> The FHS says
>
>         "/var contains variable data files. This includes spool
>         directories and files, administrative and logging data, and
>         transient and temporary files."

 variable information, includes files that can be upload/downloaded/removed.
 In other words, /var/www, /var/ftp, /var/samba, etc. etc.

 Why do you think theres a special [homes] directive in the smb.con? it's
 to serve files for the user in their home directory. Now why would you
 logically make a home directory for samba-data? It doesn't make sense.

 Shares are logically different than [homes] that's why, in the smb.conf,
 the [homes] directive has a special meaning. and other named shares are
 generic, standard shares.

> My opinion (FWIW, probably not much) is that web and ftp files don't
> belong there. /home seems a better choice. As a practical matter, I can
> be pretty sure packages scripts won't mess with stuff under /home.

 /home is for user to store their personal files. and that's it. (It's quite
 interesting to note that you didn't quote the FHS on that). Samba *does*
 provide a way for users to store files in home, and thats exactly what the
 [homes] directive is for.

--
  Nick Jennings