Re: harden distribution

On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, Vince Mulhollon wrote:

> recompile
> it,
> thru
> >>
> >> No, I want to work on this port. Yes, I intend to start something like
> this,

> Then do it.  Start compiling packages with every hardened trick and patch
> that exists, and upload them.

David speaks of Stackguard here.  A stackguard system depends on using a
specially-patched gcc which is out of sync with the upstream gcc.  Building a
Stackguarded Debian system will require either adding this compiler to the
builddeps, or adding it to build-essential.  Does either of these methods
belong in the main Debian port to a given architecture?  If not, where will
you upload the packages to, since there's no i386-sg port currently in the
archive?

Some software will probably not compile correctly out-of-the-box with the
stackguard compiler, due to bugs or incompatibilites.  This means porting
work.  I'm also not sure if there's even a stackguard g++ available (I'd be
interested to know).

> Again, I think it's a worthwhile goal, but it requires a huge commitment of
> time.

Quite so.  *All* software on a stackguard system has to be compiled using the
stackguard compiler if the system is to achieve its goal.  We ran the original
StackGuard distro on a shell account box here.  We recompiled two packages
using regular gcc, because there were newer upstream versions w/ features we
needed and the packages didn't build under stackguard.  A vulnerability showed
up later in one of those packages; the vulnerability was exploited (because
the machine had such a different library environment from our other boxes, we
were ineffective in applying timely updates to this machine), and we had to
rebuild the box.  It wasn't worth StackGuarding it the second time around; it
runs Debian now, and gets its regular dose of security patches to keep it
healthy.

Also, StackGuard only protects against buffer overflows, and these are not the
only kinds of security fixes Debian releases.  Will Dave (and others, I hope!)
be able to keep up with the workload of porting all software to use
stackguard, *as well as* providing timely security fixes for these other
issues?  If so, I commend them and look forward to using this hardened port
some day.  If not, I fear that doing this partway is worse than not doing it
at all, because it will give users a false sense of security about the OS.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer