Re: harden distribution

On 06/28/2001 11:59:27 AM David Spreen wrote:

>> On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 12:29:16PM -0500, Vince Mulhollon wrote:
>> > So, you want "someone else" to reoption every package, and then
recompile
>> > each package, and provide the infrastructure for everyone to download
it,
>> > but you don't want to put forth the effort to subscribe to dd and wade
thru
>> > the sewer with the rest of us?  I think that is the problem.
>>
>> No, I want to work on this port. Yes, I intend to start something like
this,

Then do it.  Start compiling packages with every hardened trick and patch
that exists, and upload them.

If you're not an Official Debian Developer (I'm too lazy to check), if I
have time I'll sponsor uploads for you, depending on my time constraints,
etc.

Again, I think it's a worthwhile goal, but it requires a huge commitment of
time.

>> but as far as I know, Debian didn't want something like this and I don't

"Debian" is hardly a monolith that can declare what all developers like.
We've got developers doing civil disobedience because they don't want to
follow certain parts of policy (traceroute, naughty naughty), there is no
job position of Debian Manager or Debian Pointy Haired Boss to set those
policies.  See the fun you miss by not reading Debian devel?

Some one will surely say this is a dumb idea, because in the large
population there must exist at least one person who hates everything, but
that doesn't really matter, as long as you are stubborn.

Maybe "redhat" or "M$" can declare company policy, but as long as one
Debian Developer has a hard head, that one developer prevails over all the
rest.  Which may not be good, but thats definitely the way it is.

>> And I like Debian, it's philosophy and so on so I want to do this as
>> a part of the Debian project.

Same here.  Start compiling "hardened" packages, and if I can, I'll help.

P.S. Subscribe to Debian Devel.  It comes in handy.  If you don't have the
time to read d-d, you won't have time for your giant project, thats for
sure.