Kernel modules with dependencies on each other

(Yes, I know the current state of kernel module building is a mess...)

I'm trying to package the current version of lm-sensors and i2c, which
go together.  (You can't use lm-sensors without i2c, and AFAIK nothing
besides lm-sensors uses i2c.  But they're separate.  Sigh.)  Some
user-space things in lm-sensors depend on header files out of i2c,
which vaguely implies a build-depends relation from lm-sensors to i2c.

However, the current Way To Do Kernel Modules, AFAICT, is to provide
the source in a tar file in /usr/src, and let the user unpack it where
they want to.  This means that, even if i2c-source is installed, the
lm-sensors build still can't find the header files it needs.  This is
somewhat poor.

I could create an i2c-dev package that includes the header files, but
this seems kind of silly (since it's a package that only exists for
the purpose of building one other package).  Is there a better
solution to this problem that I'm not thinking of right now?  Is there
a better solution to the more general problem of kernel module
packages depending on each other?

	-- Abra Mitchell