Re: Kernel modules with dependencies on each other

On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 11:28:12PM -0400, David Z Maze wrote:
> (Yes, I know the current state of kernel module building is a mess...)
>
> I'm trying to package the current version of lm-sensors and i2c, which
> go together.  (You can't use lm-sensors without i2c, and AFAIK nothing
> besides lm-sensors uses i2c.  But they're separate.  Sigh.)  Some
> user-space things in lm-sensors depend on header files out of i2c,
> which vaguely implies a build-depends relation from lm-sensors to i2c.
>
> However, the current Way To Do Kernel Modules, AFAICT, is to provide
> the source in a tar file in /usr/src, and let the user unpack it where
> they want to.  This means that, even if i2c-source is installed, the
> lm-sensors build still can't find the header files it needs.  This is
> somewhat poor.
>
> I could create an i2c-dev package that includes the header files, but
> this seems kind of silly (since it's a package that only exists for
> the purpose of building one other package).  Is there a better
> solution to this problem that I'm not thinking of right now?  Is there
> a better solution to the more general problem of kernel module
> packages depending on each other?

I'm in a very similar quagmire with ulogd and kernel-patch-ulog. ulogd
requires kernel-patch-ulog's linux/netfilter_ipv4/ipt_ULOG.h and modified
linux/netlink.h to build. I couldn't make a Build-Depends: as that would
only install it into /usr/src, not actually patch the kernel, so I did an
ugly hack that just added include/linux/netfilter_ipv4/ipt_ULOG.h and
include/linux/netlink.h into ulogd's source directory, and then made sure to
include it before anything else.

HTH,
:) d

--
Daniel Stone						     <daniel@sfarc.net>
<Nuke> "can NE1 help me aim nuclear weaponz????? /MSG ME!!"