Re: chkconfig packages for testing (will ITP soon)

On 26 Jun 2001, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:

> Aside from the fact that this is, imnsho a very arrogant attitude, RH
> have developed some tools which we are using.  logrotate comes to
> mind.  Also, I believe they were (and still are) central in the
> development of PAM.  Are those tools of no use to us?

I can't say that I've ever seen RedHat playing a major role in the development
of PAM, although it's certainly to their credit that they led the way in
adopting PAM.  Most of RedHat's PAM development lately has not been
incorporated by the upstream.  In particular, the modules RedHat has written
in the past few years all have a dependency on glib -- which is ok as far as
it goes, but because Linux-PAM still doesn't have a good build system to
handle conditional building of modules (working on it...), these modules are
not suitable for inclusion in the upstream tarball.

In any case, I agree that we should no more reject a proposal because it
follows RedHat's lead than we should adopt a proposal because it's what
everyone else is doing.  One would think that, among the developers of a
distribution that prides itself on technical excellence, there would be more
discussion of technical merit and less NIH attitude.[1]

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer

[1] If one had not spent any time at all reading Debian mailing lists, which
quickly disabuses one of the notion that all Debian developers are perfect. ;)