Re: blaster xscreensaver crashes computer?

On Tue Jun 26, 2001 at 09:26:31 +1000, Brian May wrote:
> Adam Lackorzynski wrote:
> > That's probably caused by a bug in the graphics chip. Get XF4 and go to
> > http://www.probo.com/timr/savage40.html for a driver which has a
> > workaround for this bug built in. XFree 4.1.0 already comes with this
> > updated driver, you'll only need timr's driver if you're using 4.0.x.
>
> A Bug in the chipset? I would have hoped that this new computer came
> bugfree :-(

Hmm, yes, some chips built into the T20's are buggy and since the T21
also contains a Savage Chipset it could suffer the same problem.
Appearantly big blue doesn't seem to care because the win driver works
around it. But there's a solution for this particular problem now.

> What is this bug, and would it explain why I can't get VESA
> mode FB working without crashing on a black screen? (according to other
> reports I have seen, this should work fine).

Hmm, we had XFree running under FB (where the bug doesn't occur but X is
horribly slow when scrolling etc.) and it worked.

You can reproduce this bug with fast scrolling. It worked by taking a
xterm of full screen size and executing some echo's in a loop, short
(seconds to minutes) after starting this the whole box crashed. The
matrix screensaver triggers this as well.

> but anyway, I already tried the binary savage40 driver from that
> website, but can't get it working. I get lots of symbol undefined
> errors, as per attached log file (lets hope this attachment comes out as
> text/plain... Mozzila doesn't seem to want to tell me what it is going
> to do. I can resend it if people have problems reading it)
>
> These errors puzzle me. What am I doing wrong?

Version 1.1.17 of this driver is for XFree 4.1.0. Sorry, I forgot to
mention this :/ . I'll send you version 1.1.15 via PM which works here
with 4.0.3.

Adam
--
Adam                 al10@inf.tu-dresden.de