Re: horse carcas flogging (was: traceroute in /usr/bin, not /usr/sbin)

Steve Greenland wrote:
> So you're doing basic network diagnostics. It's an admin *function*
> (as opposed to composing and sending e-mail, for instance).

Not really, it's being a good network citizen.

People who are only interested in using email also have gone on record as using
traceroute as a tool to track down a spammer's ISP (and the ISP's ISP
and so on, as necessary), to complain about spammers. These people are
not admins.

> It's just that I can't believe that there is a non-nil set of people
> who can figure out what to do with the output of traceroute, but can't
> change their PATH, or use an alias, or add a link to their own ~/bin, or
> simply type /usr/sbin/traceroute.

The issue is not that the people who have valid reasons to use
traceroute while not being admins are too dumb to figure out various
ways to make it easy to use it. It's that they should not have to.

--
see shy jo