Re: METIS package

Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> Perhaps you should post the exact language that the author used when granting
> this permission?  That would be the definitive source of information.  If she
> said "You have my permission to redistribute", that is different from "Debian
> has my permission to redistribute".

I asked him "permission on behalf of Debian/GNU Linux distribution" and he
said "yes". The author's a very busy man, and his reply (which I might
have deleted) is sufficient given the informal nature of the license, the
software being a university project and the widespread distribution of metis
(available through Internet). In other words, Debian doesn't do anything illegal
by distributing metis, so I take it that the previous short thread about
metis did reach a correct conclusion. (in which it was agreed that we could
distribute metis in the non-free distro)

I think the point of the license was that if you want to incorporate metis
into a commercial code, they want to know it and perhaps even license
it separately. [but of course this is wildly off topic for our discussion]

If somebody is distributing metis, they'd like to know who is doing that
and in what manner, which is our point of interest.

Almost becoming an IP lawyer.

Thanks,

--
Eray Ozkural (exa) <erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr>,