Re: METIS package

Eray Ozkural (exa) wrote:

Matt Zimmerman wrote:

Perhaps you should post the exact language that the author used when granting
this permission?  That would be the definitive source of information.  If she
said "You have my permission to redistribute", that is different from "Debian
has my permission to redistribute".

I asked him "permission on behalf of Debian/GNU Linux distribution" and he
said "yes". The author's a very busy man, and his reply (which I might
have deleted) is sufficient given the informal nature of the license, the
software being a university project and the widespread distribution of metis
(available through Internet). In other words, Debian doesn't do anything illegal
by distributing metis, so I take it that the previous short thread about
metis did reach a correct conclusion. (in which it was agreed that we could
distribute metis in the non-free distro)

Eray, the point is that the package has to have some internal evidence of that distribution permission and any restrictions in the copyright file. I think that if you just cut and paste from your email to the author and his reply into copyright, that might suffice. This would also notify users that they can't freely distribute metis with other distributions, as the author has only given such permission for Debian. (-devel people, will this satisfy everyone?)

Please take this step and we'll try another upload.

I think the point of the license was that if you want to incorporate metis
into a commercial code, they want to know it and perhaps even license
it separately. [but of course this is wildly off topic for our discussion]

I've been planning to suggest the QPL to the author, which would accomplish this goal. If he consents and offers it under this license without restriction to Debian, then metis can go into main.

P.S.  How are [h/p]metis coming along?

Zeen,
--

-Adam P.