Re: traceroute /usr/bin -> /usr/sbin

    >> AIX 4.2 : traceroute is /usr/bin/traceroute AIX 4.1 :
    >> traceroute is /usr/bin/traceroute
    >> [but then whoever said AIX is Unix :-)]
    Keith> Maybe IRIX is not so unusual:

    Keith> On AIX 4.3:
    Keith> # which ifconfig /etc/ifconfig

Yes but check it (on 4.2 and 4.1 at least) :-

lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     system         18 Jan 10  2000 /etc/ifconfig -> /usr/sbin/ifconfig*

Thats because on AIX /etc is in the PATH before /usr/sbin and /sbin
(by default at least), and /etc was the place for a lot of binaries on
3.1. I believe the migration to /usr/sbin started in 3.2 but its along
while ago and I can't remember exactly.

And this perhaps highlights a reasonable way of doing things if
standards dictate, move but leave a link for backward compatibilty
(and that link, if it exists in 4.3, has been there for almost 10

Adrian Phillips

Your mouse has moved.
Reboot now?  [OK]