Re: An ex-Windows, now-Debian newbie comments.

On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 01:37:02PM +1200, D & E Radel wrote:
> I have a suggestion for the Debian Linux system. I am sure that you all have heard that
> some guys made a nice splash screen for Linux kernel at http://lpp.freelords.org/ . I know
> that there are some issues stopping it being included in Debian.  However, it can be
> configured to display certain copyright notices for 3rd party drivers and packages.

On a server or an embedded device, there is no need for it.  The benefit of
some users not having to install it do not outweigh the burden on other users
having to remove it.  IMHO.

What issues do you mean?  On a system without a console, there would not be
any copyright notices either.  Can I breach copyright simply by pulling out
the vga card?  I must be misunderstanding something here.

> I believe that the Debian package would look very slick if each new release had a nice graphical
> splash screen with the picture of the Toy Story character that each version is named after.

Of course, the legal copyright holders of the Toy Story characters will have
to license those characters under a DFSG compliant license, I'm afraid.

For further documentation, please refer to the case of GNU/Ernie at:

 http://groups.google.com/groups?lr=&safe=off&th=fa07d1c2601512c7,4&rnum=3&ic=1&selm=GyNA2s0KTTaJ092yn%40zetnet.co.uk

Cheers,

Joost