Re: How to deal with svgalibg1 | svgalib-dummyg1 and recent debhelper

On Sun, Jun 17, 2001 at 11:28:02PM +0200, Thimo Neubauer wrote:
> svgalibg1 | svgalib-dummyg1. I got this dependency by searching for
> "svgalibg1" in debian/substvars and changed it by a sed (stolen from
> the xaos package :). Now debhelper changed a bit and uses a new file
> debian/gnuplot.substvars instead. I would have just changed
> debian/rules to using the new file but read in the debhelper
> changelog:

Hmm...  I think Joey is mistaken in calling the substvars file an
"internal interface".  It may happen to be the way dh_shlibdeps
communicates with dh_gencontrol, but it is also a file in a documented
format which is part of the interface between dpkg-shlibdeps and
dpkg-gencontrol.  Package maintainers should be free to deal with
this file, and debhelper should not try to get in the way.

In other words, I suggest to Joey that he puts this "automatically
determined substvars data" in a documented location, so that it
can be massaged between the dh_shlibdeps and dh_gencontrol steps.

--
Richard Braakman
Looking for a job writing free software.