Re: horse carcas flogging (was: traceroute in /usr/bin, not /usr/sbin)

On Sun, Jun 17, 2001 at 12:23:49AM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 07:47:32PM -0400, Rene Weber wrote:
> > The problem is that not everyone agrees that traceroute (for example)
> > is violating the FHS.
>
> precisely.
>
> the "traceroute belongs in /usr/bin because FHS says so" is based on a
> debatable interpretation of the FHS, and a highly debatable assessment
> of traceroute's status as a "user" tool rather than an "admin" tool.

It's both.

Where is the line drawn between user tools and admin tools? I'm talking about
function here, not the place where they live on the filesystem. If you draw
the line for admin tools at "Tools which only root should be able to run,
because they are potentially dangerous", traceroute should be accessable from
a normal user's $PATH.

The point is, traceroute has diagnostic purposes for both users and admins, and
it's totally pointless to restrict it to one or the other. OTOH, moving it
would break some things, so you make a symlink.