Re: horse carcas flogging (was: traceroute in /usr/bin, not /usr/sbin)

from the secret journal of sam@oddbox.org (sam@oddbox.org):
> Where is the line drawn between user tools and admin tools? I'm talking about
> function here, not the place where they live on the filesystem. If you draw
> the line for admin tools at "Tools which only root should be able to run,
> because they are potentially dangerous", traceroute should be accessable from
> a normal user's $PATH.

[not a reply so much as an observation]

Did traceroute come into existance before or after setuid? I wonder if it
was placed in sbin because you needed root to create the weird udp packets
it uses.

--
Jacob Kuntz
Technology Director