Re: (long) tcpd compilation options and forced reverse lookup

Sorry about the previous empty response... Typed the wrong key, keyboard shortcuts can be as dangerous as mouse clicks...

  To get back to the problem:

  * Putting "search ." in /etc/resolv.conf solves the problem of telnet/ftp/etc doing DNS lookups even for hosts present in the /etc/hosts file.

  * It does not solve the other part of the problem, which is that daemons using tcp wrappers/tcpd trigger reverse lookups for every host connection, not only for unknown hosts. In short tcp wrappers are compiled to be paranoid for every host, known or not ! This is a -default- compilation option of tcp wrappers (-DPARANOID) which in my opinion should not be enabled: forcing lookups at every connection should be a decision left to the administrator. An administrator can always put "ALL:PARANOID"  in /etc/hosts.deny.

  Is the package maintainer of tcpd listening on this list ? What's his opinion ? I'll try to get and compile the source package of tcpd without this -DPARANOID option and see if it improves things...

Regards,

Edouard