Re: (long) tcpd compilation options and forced reverse lookup

On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 04:39:18PM +0100, Edouard Lafargue wrote:
>   That's the very problem: even with hosts in /etc/hosts, the resolver still seems to do DNS queries for reverse-lookups! It's the case for every program that does "gethostbyname", really.
>
> /etc/host.conf:

Irrelevant for glibc...

> /etc/nsswitch.conf
> hosts:          files  dns
                         ^^^
RTFM (nsswitch.conf(5) to be precise)! Remove "dns" or use:

		  files [NOTFOUND=return] dns

which is nearly equivalent (dns would only be used if /etc/hosts was
unavailable: makes no sense to me, but...)

Dominik
--
          A lovely thing to see:                   Kobayashi Issa
     through the paper window's holes               (1763-1828)