Re: QPL in /usr/share/comon-licences (was: Re: wnpp: ITP: apc --

John Galt <galt@inconnu.isu.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>>Previously John Galt wrote:
>>> No.  However if it's resolved so that the GPL must be included in each
>>> deb, there's really no more point in common-licenses, thus neatly solving
>>> the whole issue at hand.
>>
>>That's not true, you could replace the GPL document in the package
>>with a symlink to a copy in common-licenses in the postinst for
>>example.

> Wasn't that the bone of contention?  Whether or not the present tack of
> symlinking /usr/share/doc/common-license was allowable?  I was
> hypothesizing that this was not the case.

Hello,
Afaics Wichert is talking about shipping the full license in the deb,
installing it to /usr/share/doc/package/, check whether
/usr/share/doc/common-license/yourlicense exists, and if it does,
replace the copyright file with a symlink to
/usr/share/doc/common-license/yourlicense.

You'd ship a copy of GPL with every package but you'd still keep only
one copy on your debian linux system.
              cu andreas
--
Uptime: 10 seconds  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
vim:ls=2:stl=***\ Sing\ a\ song.\ ***