Re: Be careful of library updates once freeze happens.

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001, Michael Stone wrote:

> Yes. Yet another reason that stuff should be built against woody rather
> than sid. Oh well.

Please tell me how you want to resolve the following two problems when you
build all packages against testing:

1. The new version a of my package A needs version b of library B that's
brand-new (very usual e.g. with GNOME packages). Do I have to wait (at
least) 10 days until version b of library B is in unstable before I can
upload version a of package A?

2. Consider the case that of a library package foo there's now the libfoo1
package in testing and the libfoo2 package in unstable (the so-name has
changed). As long as there's ONE package in testing that depends on
libfoo1 and isn't recompiled against libfoo2 in unstable the foo package
in unstable won't make it into testing because this would cause broken
dependenies in testing (one of the problems testing tries to avoid).
Please tell me how the new foo package can ever make it into testing when
all the packages that depend on it are built against testing.

cu
Adrian

                -- Mahatma Ghandi