Re: localization fails

On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 05:00:26PM +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:
> On Wed, 30 May 2001, Michael Piefel wrote:
>
> > Am 29.05.01 um 11:25:12 schrieb Filip Van Raemdonck:
> > > lucretia:~$ LANG=nl dpkg --help | tail -n1
> > > Use `dselect' for user-friendly package management.
> >
> > This in fact _is_ wrong, as "nl" is not valid. Should be nl_NL,
> > probably.
>
> Using a single two-letter code like "nl" used to work in potato.
>
> Under woody, it works for certain programs like gpg. For some others like
> dpkg you have to use a full ll_CC locale. Funny...

Yeah, I noticed that (ll vs ll_CC) too - see below

> > > dpkg *does* have nl messages available. I also tried a couple of variations
> > > on the LANG variable, such as ll_CC abbreviations, setting LANGUAGE instead
> > > of LANG, etc. Nothing worked.
> >
> > If even nl_NL didn't work - did you try de_DE for instance? (Have you
> > even told your system to generate the right locale in /etc/locale.gen?)

Actually I didn't even have /etc/locace.gen - so I installed the locales
package. Now it works, if I use the ll_CC form for lang (just ll doesn't
work). So, apparently that was the problem.

I don't quite understand all of this, however:
* isn't the locales package supposed to be just for libc l10n? There's no
library or such in there, mostly data files and just the locale-gen script.
I can't see why dpkg/libc would fail to find the l10n files without locales
installed.
* why do some programs work without the package? Do they use a different
system then (apparently, at least gnupg seems to do so; maybe it has
something to do with security)?

Regards,

Filip

--
There are  340 282 366 920 938 463 463 374 607 431 768 211 456 IPv6
addresses. That's roughly 313 million addresses per every cubic