python, python-gtk and memory usage

Hi,

This bug has not seen any action for far too long :(

I tried to reproduce the problem and I am not sure if I really see the
bug. What I can say for sure is that memory is not given back to the
kernel (the memory usage in top never drops when I free any data) but
it seems like the reserved storage is reused for new data. So I am not
sure if it actually is a problem with my package and not with memory
management in python in general.

Interestingly when I run the following python commands interactively

>>> a = range(10000000)
>>> a = None
>>> a = range(10000000)

memory usage of the python process goes up to 154MB after the first command,
down to 116MB after the second (at which stage I thought the bug is in
python) but up to 154MB after the third command again so it is reusing the
involved memory it seems.

Any idea what is going on here and where and how to fix it?

Thanks

	Torsten