Re: packages in main and non-US/main

(Please don't Cc me on list mail.)

On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 08:53:16AM -0000, Pawel Wiecek wrote:
> > > It's not a purely technical issue, we can deal with it being in both.
> > Perhaps not purely, but it's largely a technical issue: dselect, apt-get
> > and testing will all have problems coping with the same package being
> > in the archive twice.
> They will have no problems with two versions of a package in main in
> non-US/main (as well as with them in main and non-free for example). Apt will
> happily dowload both indexes and merge them, removing the elder version.

Which sounds like a problem, to me. In particular it means they'll be
poorly tested, bug reports will get mixed up, NMUers will forget to
upload to both places, security team uploads will have to be merged for
both .debs, etc.

And I can assure you, the testing scripts don't handle it in a particularly
useful way.

Cheers,
aj