Re: packages in main and non-US/main

On Tue, May 29, 2001 at 10:28:43PM -0400, Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:
> Why do packages have to be removed from main just because a newer version is
> in non-US/main?

It's not a purely technical issue, we can deal with it being in both.
Rather it is a matter of what we want.  Do we really want several versions
of the same package in the archive?  Do we consider main and non-US/main
as a single (virtual) archive, or as two distinct resources?

For example, by extension of your argument, we could always keep older
versions of other packages in the Packages file and distribution.  The
question is if we want to do that.  Sometimes older versions have some
special value, and in this case we currently change the package name to
allow them to coexist (even if they are not simultaneously installable).

I can see both sides, and I am not so much interested in what side we take
rather than what I can rely on in my software.  However, I think code is a
bit simpler if no duplicates have to be taken into account, and I think that
multiple versions of the same package in the archive and installation tools
might be confusing the user (if he is aware of them at all).

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de