Re: Proposed Autoconf 2.50 path

On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 07:14:22PM -0400, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> Denis Barbier <barbier@imacs.polytechnique.fr> writes:
>
> > With a script, I searched into debian/rules of these packages to see if
> > they really depend upon autoconf, by looking for
> >   /\s*([^#].*)?(autoconf|autogen|bootstrap)/
> >
> > Here is the result:
> > 1) DO NOT DEPEND:
[...]
> Just because those strings don't appear in debian/rules doesn't
> allow you to conclude that they don't depend on autoconf.  The
> makefiles of these package may call autoconf, for instance, and
> Automake will automatically do that if configure.in is newer than
> configure.

Sure, but the latter occurs when both configure and configure.in have
been patched, in which case a safe solution is to `touch configure'
before calling `make' (and all other generated files found in .diff.gz).

About the former, you are of course right, this search was somewhat
heuristic, it may be improved if you know of other methods used to call
autoconf from debian/rules.

Denis