Re: A section for commercial software?

On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 04:47:15PM -0700, Alexander Hvostov wrote:

> There was a long thread about the section named `science' a while back.
> Exercise caution...
>
> [Craig Sanders:]
> > IMO you're better off just following the debian standard of
> > where to put the files - /usr/bin, /usr/share/packagename,
> > /usr/share/doc/packagename, etc. that way your package will feel
> > as much a part of the system as any other package.

    Assuming it's Free Software.

> The purpose of /opt is provided by dpkg anyway, since the purpose of
> /opt is to store `optional' software that can be deleted at the sysadmin's
> whim without breaking anything (except perhaps other software in /opt).
> Obviously, dpkg provides the same thing.

    If a company provides a .deb that writes things into /usr or /var,
they better be ready to allow that stuff to be redistributed or spread
across an arbitrary number of machines.  I have had cause to export
/usr and /var in the past, and would point-blank boycott any software
that interferes with that ability.

--
Zed Pobre <zed@debian.org> a.k.a. Zed Pobre <zed@resonant.org>
PGP key and fingerprint available on finger; encrypted mail welcomed.