Re: A section for commercial software?

On Tue, 22 May 2001 09:42:35 +1000
Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> wrote:

> On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 03:46:07PM +0300, Panu H?llfors wrote:
> > non-free/??? just doesn't sound good since I wouldn't like to mix our
> > commercial packages with those really supported by Debian. For now
> > I'll use "commercial". Any suggestions?
>
> "commercial" sounds fine.

There was a long thread about the section named `science' a while back.
Exercise caution...

> IMO you're better off just following the debian standard of
> where to put the files - /usr/bin, /usr/share/packagename,
> /usr/share/doc/packagename, etc. that way your package will feel
> as much a part of the system as any other package.

The purpose of /opt is provided by dpkg anyway, since the purpose of
/opt is to store `optional' software that can be deleted at the sysadmin's
whim without breaking anything (except perhaps other software in /opt).
Obviously, dpkg provides the same thing.

Forgive me if this was dead wrong, as the heat's beginning to get to me...

Regards,

Alex.