Re: slrn problems

Dale Scheetz wrote:
> Since my last upgrade, which now leaves me with slrn 0.9.7.0a-7, I can't
> get slrn to work at all...
>
> sonya@dwarf:~$ slrn -n
> slrn 0.9.7.0 (Apr 27 2001 00:02:29)
>
> Reading startup file /etc/news/slrn.rc.slrn fatal error:
> Unable to find a fully qualified hostname.  You will have to specify a
> hostname in your .slrnrc file.

What does hostname -f output on your system?

If I do:

joey@silk:~>head -1 /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1       silk.kitenet.net
joey@silk:~>hostname -f
silk.kitenet.net

Slrn works, but, if I modify my /etc/hosts file:

joey@silk:~>head -1 /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1       silk
joey@silk:~>hostname -f
silk
joey@silk:~>slrn
slrn 0.9.7.0 (May 10 2001 17:23:35)

Reading startup file /etc/news/slrn.rc.

Reading startup file /home/joey/.slrnrc.slrn fatal error:
Unable to find a fully qualified hostname.  You will have to specify a
hostname in your .slrnrc file.

Of course, removing the line in /etc/hosts entirely works too. (I just
have it there so hostname -f continues to work if this laptop is
offline.) The problem is if you have a /etc/hosts line that sets up a
non-qualified hostname for your computer.

I think this check was added in the new version of slrn as just a new
sanity check. Presumably something breaks if the hostname is not fully
qualified. (I would guess it wants it for message-id generation..)

Rather than fooling with the hosts file, you can also follow the
example set hostname commands in /usr/doc/slrn/examples/slrn.rc.gz

> If I try to specify the hostname on the command line:
>
> sonya@dwarf:~$ slrn -n --nntp -h news.polaris.net
> slrn 0.9.7.0 (Apr 27 2001 00:02:29)

That's the nnrp server hostname, while slrn is complaining about your
own.

> Looking at /etc/news, I see the files: server, which contains the hostname
> of the news server; slrn-help.txt, containing online help; and slrn.rc,
> which contains some color setup, but no server.
>
> The only comments in the slrn manpages state the existance of ~/.slrnrc
> but give no details about its contents.

Slrn now includes a large manual in manual.txt in the doc directory. I
reccommend it.

--
see shy jo