slrn problems

Since my last upgrade, which now leaves me with slrn 0.9.7.0a-7, I can't
get slrn to work at all...

sonya@dwarf:~$ slrn -n
slrn 0.9.7.0 (Apr 27 2001 00:02:29)

Reading startup file /etc/news/slrn.rc.slrn fatal error:
Unable to find a fully qualified hostname.  You will have to specify a
hostname in your .slrnrc file.

sonya@dwarf:~$

If I try to specify the hostname on the command line:

sonya@dwarf:~$ slrn -n --nntp -h news.polaris.net
slrn 0.9.7.0 (Apr 27 2001 00:02:29)

Reading startup file /etc/news/slrn.rc.slrn fatal error:
Unable to find a fully qualified hostname.  You will have to specify a
hostname in your .slrnrc file.

sonya@dwarf:~$

Even when I do 'dpkg-reconfigure slrn' I go through the reconfiguration,
providing the hosename, and after all the pretty windows ... you guessed
it ;-)

Looking at /etc/news, I see the files: server, which contains the hostname
of the news server; slrn-help.txt, containing online help; and slrn.rc,
which contains some color setup, but no server.

The only comments in the slrn manpages state the existance of ~/.slrnrc
but give no details about its contents. So far all my attempts have
resulted in failures like the following:

sonya@dwarf:~$ slrn -n
slrn 0.9.7.0 (Apr 27 2001 00:02:29)

Reading startup file /etc/news/slrn.rc.
Reading startup file /home/sonya/.slrnrc.
S-Lang Error: Undefined Name: host=news.polaris.net: invalid command
slrn fatal error:
/home/sonya/.slrnrc: Error encountered processing line 1 host=news.polaris.net

Can anyone give me the syntax for this data, so I can smooth my upgrade
just a bit ;-)

TIA,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "Dwarf's Guide to Debian GNU/Linux"  _-_-_-_-_-_-