Re: /etc getting big

On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 09:39:05PM +0200, David Spreen wrote:
> On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 01:37:22PM +1000, Brendan O'Dea wrote:
> > I would argue that if a file contains such an admonishment (capitalised
> > even), then it shouldn't be in /etc at all.
>
> Hmm, I got a bugreport about his regarding lidsadm-2.2.19. I disagree with this
> because although lidsadm-2.2.19 is autogenerated it is a system-dependent
> conffile, which means it contains the configuration for the package and it
> should be different on every machine. Where is the difference if a
> conffile is generated using vim or a special tool like lidsadm?

if the file is in /etc then the admin must be allowed to modify it
however they want.  if the file cannot be edited in that manner (or
your tool will silently destroy the admin's changes) and is
machine/host depenent then it belongs in /var, probably /var/lib.

about the only exception is in cases where you absolutly cannot live
without the file before filesystems are mounted (since /var is
probably a seperate partition from /).  /etc/mtab is an example of
this.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/