Re: Major changes to Heimdal in Heimdal 0.3e-5

    Mikael> yet. Then we can compile the heimdal packege with krb4
    Mikael> support and don't need to fix another heimdalkrb4
    Mikael> package(s). For the people using heimdal and don't want
    Mikael> the krb4 support, is easy to disable (kdc --no-kerberos4,
    Mikael> and don't create any srvtab for the services). As an
    Mikael> effect of this we will also get an libsasl-modules-nonus
    Mikael> containing support for Kerberos.
    >> You overlook the requirement that if Kerberos V4 support is
    >> built into Heimdal, then Heimdal will depend of kerberos4kth.

    Mikael> Just some parts of the kerberos4kth
    Mikael> packages. /usr/lib/libkadm.so.1.0.7
    Mikael> /usr/lib/libkdb.so.1.0.7 /usr/lib/libkrb.so.1.0.7

    Mikael> (and 1 or 2 symlinks for each)

libkadm is not a problem (it is called libkadm5clnt and libkadm4srv
is heimdal).

libkdb doesn't exist in Heimdal.

libkrb has been renamed to libkrb5.

I thought libcom_err and libss were once a problem, but apparently
this is no longer the case?

I wish I could down load a list of files each package contains,
without down-loading everything.

The only problem seems to be libsl:

heimdal contains /usr/lib/libsl.so.0.0.1 and kerberos4kth contains
/usr/lib/libsl.0.9.9

Both packages contain /usr/lib/libsl.0

Then again, according to my depends, nothing uses libsl except for
heimdal-dev... So, I may simply discard libsl and not bother packaging
it. I think I previously changed all references from libsl to libss,
in order to try and use the libraries that come with e2fsprogs.

(sidenote: Only two binaries use libss: kadmin and ktutil).

    >> I think rather then enabling Kerberos V4 by default, it should
    >> be made as easy as possible for users to compile their own
    >> version of Heimdal with krb4 support.

    Mikael> If it was only heimdal it's ok (I have already done that a
    Mikael> lot), but you also need to recompile sasl and other
    Mikael> packages.

Are you sure? It could be just a problem with broken library
dependencies too. eg. AFAIK sasl only needs to link into -lkrb5, and
any other library including -lkrb should get pulled in automatically.

Or, does compiling in krb4 support change the binary API of Heimdal?
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>