Re: Major changes to Heimdal in Heimdal 0.3e-5

    Mikael> I'm sorry for my bad english.

What bad English? I am still looking... ;-)

    Mikael> When you now reorganizing your packet's, is it possible to
    Mikael> make it running better with kthkrb4(kerberos4kth packet)
    Mikael> at the same time? I know that you don't using the old
    Mikael> kerberos4 interface, but some of us want to do it.

    Mikael> One(wrong?) solution is that we have another heimdal
    Mikael> packet called heimdalwithkrb4 and reinvent the wheel. But
    Mikael> that is an ugly solution.

    Mikael> One other solution is that we split some of the kthkrb4
    Mikael> packets so that they don't conflict with the libraries in
    Mikael> heimdal. This require that we compile kthkrb4 with des
    Mikael> library from libssl. I don't know if it is in the upstream

I don't think libdes is such a big problem anymore. I think only
kerberos4kth uses it.

    Mikael> yet. Then we can compile the heimdal packege with krb4
    Mikael> support and don't need to fix another heimdalkrb4
    Mikael> package(s). For the people using heimdal and don't want
    Mikael> the krb4 support, is easy to disable (kdc --no-kerberos4,
    Mikael> and don't create any srvtab for the services). As an
    Mikael> effect of this we will also get an libsasl-modules-nonus
    Mikael> containing support for Kerberos.

You overlook the requirement that if Kerberos V4 support is built into
Heimdal, then Heimdal will depend of kerberos4kth.

I think rather then enabling Kerberos V4 by default, it should be made
as easy as possible for users to compile their own version of Heimdal
with krb4 support.

This saves problems having to have manage a krb4 set of Heimdal
packages and a non-krb4 set of packages in Debian.

The major inconvenience is currently libcom_err, libss, and libsl.
Ideally Debian should only have one version of these libraries.

IIRC, this is the only reason I have set heimdal-lib to conflict with
kerberos4kth.

I tried to get Heimdal to use libcom_err from e2fsprogs, but got stuck
as the version included in e2fsprogs is old, and doesn't have some of
the new kth extensions.

A better solution would be to make everything use libcom_err*-heimdal
(in which case I would rename it to libcom_err*) <grin>.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>