Re: Debian-Harden

On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 04:39:37PM -0700, phil@bolthole.com wrote:

> I would think changing the owner/perms on the pid area of /proc should be a
> relatively straightforward kernel hack.

thats exactly what the openwall patch does, it lets you leave them
group readable by some group (say wheel) so non-root admins can still
see all processes.

but really i don't see the point what does hiding this kind of
information get you?  sounds like security though obscurity to me.

about the only argument i can see is it gives users a bit more privacy
since other users can't see what stuff they are running...

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/