Re: Debian-Harden

On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 08:43:33AM +0200, bounce-debian-devel=mstone=cs.loyola.edu@lists.debian.org wrote:
> There are some commands on System, which are similar useable for root and
> user. Think of ps, everyone on an linux-system is able to run "ps aux", so
> it is shown all processes of the host.
> I think, it it fully enaough, to let an user only make ps -a", for example,
> to see the own processes.

That level of information hiding is out of scope for a general unix
system. It does exist, but not in the standard linux kernel. Changing ps
to hide information is futile, as someone could bring their own ps.

> Nmap for example have flags, which are only usable as root, like -sX
> (XMas- Scan).

nmap does not do the enforcement of those flags, the kernel does. (I.e.,
nmap doesn't have the privilage to make the custom packets required for
those scans unless run as a privilaged user.)

--
Mike Stone