Re: Question

^U works fine for me (updating the screen/terminal as appropriate),
under gnome-terminal-1.4.0.3-2 and bash-2.05-4.  There is probably
something external that's causing this behavior (or at least causing
it to appear).  Note the following, as well:

[dilinger@wax mp3]$ stty
speed 38400 baud; line = 0;
ixany
-echok