Re: LILO

On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 08:09:24PM -0700, Nicolas Lopez wrote:
> On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 02:35:18PM +0100, Frederico Mu?oz wrote:
> > Further more, GRUB is the only of the two to support the multiboot
> > specification (needed by
> > e.g. GNU Hurd).
> >
> > All in all I think GRUB is far superior to lilo in every aspect I can
> > think of.
>   Except compatibility.  All that very nice, fancy stuff grub does comes at
> a price.  Not only does it occationally have inexplicable incompatiblities
> with some hardware, but it somehow manages to disable the AT keyboard emulation
> for my USB(only) keyboard.  I'm sure lilo had some troubles with not loading
> on some systems in the past, but it's gotten over worst of them.
>   If it wern't for that freak keyboard disabling I'd use grub on this
> system.  I allready use it almost everywhere else(x86).

All you say is that software has bugs.  We knew that already ;)
Fact is that this is not the price you pay for GRUBs fancy features.
They are simply bugs, and when they are fixed, you will have a more
compatible GRUB and all fancy features.

One step to reachthis goal is to report all bugs you find.  I hope you have
done so (bug-grub@gnu.org).

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de