Re: script for on-disk configuration file backup

On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 10:15:49PM -0400, Steve M. Robbins wrote:

> On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 09:31:19PM -0400, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > After examining the situation, it seems that this particular backup is
> > created by /etc/init.d/setserial, which runs before
> > /etc/init.d/mountall.sh, so I guess this one has to stay in /etc.
>
> But the backup file is created in the shutdown mode --- i.e. by executing
> "/etc/init.d/setserial stop".  Doesn't that mean you can assume /var has been
> mounted?

I don't think that is guaranteed in every situation.  For example, if the
system is brought up in single-user mode, and then shut down/rebooted, /var
will never have been mounted.  I suppose it could check for the existence of
/var/backups, but that isn't very reliable.  In some situations, it might be
wise to make /var/backups a mount point for a floppy.

--
 - mdz