Re: how can Euro symbol be displayed under X [4.0.3]?

On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 10:08:42PM +0200, Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo wrote:
> El 09 May 2001 13:51:15 -0500, David Starner escribió:
> > Yep. If you go to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale/, there's a number of files
> > with locales listed in them. Add es_ES@euro and es_ES.ISO-8859-15@euro
> > to them. (The modifications should be obvious.)
>
>   Ok, but I think this should be done _by hand_. This must be provided
> for the xlibs package. Perhaps I should report a bug to that package...

Yes. What X really should do (and I've been told this by people much
more familiar with X than me) is just read the locale variable and pick
the right character set, instead of including a long list of locales
in X. (It doesn't include eo_EO, either.)

> > Where are you typing this? fixed has a ISO-8859-15 version, that's installed
> > by default, as well as xfonts-scalable-nonfree having a few ISO-8859-15
> > fonts. Any TrueType font server will be able to provide ISO-8859-15 fonts,
> > and you can probably find a few on the web.
> >

>    The same with above. I think that the "Euro problem" should be solved
> easily, not downloading 'rare' packages or using fonts from Windows or
> Adobe.  I think that almost all the default fonts should include a
> ISO-8859-15 version.

This is a volunteer organization. No one's going to object if you
submit bugs on the packages with patches to make iso-8859-15
versions. (Remember that iso-8859-15 differs from iso-8859-1 by more
than just the Euro.) (Bugs without patches aren't going to be
helpful.) But most of us don't have the knowledge or interest to
make iso-8859-15 fonts, so we aren't going to do it.  (Note that
Debian has no decent tools to edit Type 1 or Speedo fonts.) If
you're really concerned about it, then you need to fix it yourself,
or find someone who can who will.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
"I don't care if Bill personally has my name and reads my email and