Re: how can Euro symbol be displayed under X [4.0.3]?

El 09 May 2001 13:51:15 -0500, David Starner escribió:
> On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 12:03:28PM +0200, Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo wrote:

[...]

> >  In XF86config I have the "XkbLayout" "es" in the InputDevice section.
> > This must include the euro symbol in AltGr+e.
>
> This must, or this does? Unless it's been updated recently, I'd be
> surprised to find that it does.

    It does. i cannot tell you from which version it does this, as I
    have not been looking for this before.
    Looking in /etc/X11xkb/symbols the EuroSign can be found (in
    different keys) in a lot of language keymaps, appart from Spanish
    one.

> >  I have also set my LC_ALL variable to es_ES@euro. But right now, when I
> > launch a program it tells me something like this:
> >    [jose@hal9000:/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/symbols]$ xterm
> >    Warning: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C
>
> Yep. If you go to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale/, there's a number of files
> with locales listed in them. Add es_ES@euro and es_ES.ISO-8859-15@euro
> to them. (The modifications should be obvious.)

  Ok, but I think this should be done _by hand_. This must be provided
for the xlibs package. Perhaps I should report a bug to that package...

> >   And also the Euro key doesn't work at all (it is not only the problem
> > of not having any font wich displays this symbol, something which also
> > must be worked).
>
> Where are you typing this? fixed has a ISO-8859-15 version, that's installed
> by default, as well as xfonts-scalable-nonfree having a few ISO-8859-15
> fonts. Any TrueType font server will be able to provide ISO-8859-15 fonts,
> and you can probably find a few on the web.

   The same with above. I think that the "Euro problem" should be solved
easily, not downloading 'rare' packages or using fonts from Windows or
Adobe.  I think that almost all the default fonts should include a
ISO-8859-15 version.

   I think that this is a thing that should be solved before Woody is
released, as Woody is going to live in the change to Euro, and a lot of
people are going to ask the same question that I'm asking right now. And
the answer should be something like "Install user-euro package" (or
user-whateverisyourcountry)

--
José Carlos García Sogo         Seahorse(-bonobo) developer
jose jaimedelamo eu org         http://seahorse.sourceforge.net

Key-Id: 0x90788E11
Fingerprint = B06B 023F EAA6 37DC 1E62  B079 4BE0 5825 9078 8E11