Re: Questions to testing/unstable

On Tue, 08 May 2001, Herbert Xu wrote:
> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> wrote:
> > Most of us don't bother too much with testing, unless we're trying to get
> > something into testing for one particular reason or another (such as, the
> > package in testing is too damn buggy, or has a security hole).
>
> FWIW, I do all my development under testing.  I virtually ignore unstable
> unless I need a specific package from it.

AFAIK, I cannot do that.  If I build against testing, I help the breakage by
adding yet another package that depends on the outdated libraries that are
in testing, therefore helping those libraries to be held instead of
upgraded.  It's a positive feedback loop. Unless I misunderstand testing,
obviously, and such loop does not exist.

That's why I don't bother with testing, unless I'm dealing with a urgency
high or critical upload; In that case I'll happily request the version of
the package in testing to be *removed*.

If it happens to be very important package (none of mine are, AFAIK), I'll
compile it in a testing chroot, upload it with urgency high or critical, and
downgrade all RC bugs. As soon as it gets moved into testing, I'd upload a
urgency critical package built in a proper sid chroot, and restore the bugs
to their proper severity.

Xu, I don't claim to understand your packages better than you. I have no
idea where on the dependency chain they are; maybe they don't affect other
packages in testing at all. But that's not the case for my packages.

Maybe I misunderstand the testing mechanics, and libs will be always
upgraded when their dependencies allow it, thus flushing a lot of packages
from testing.

  Henrique Holschuh