Re: build depends on kernel-headers

>>"Sam" == Sam Hartman <hartmans@MIT.EDU> writes:

>>>>> "Manoj" == Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> writes:
 >>>> "Aaron" == Aaron Lehmann <aaronl@vitelus.com> writes:
 Aaron> So you're saying it's better to hardcode syscall numbers
 Aaron> and stuff than using the kernel headers? Suuuure...

 Manoj> We already have a process for packages that actually
 Manoj> do need kernel headers, and are thus dependent on
 Manoj> particular kernel versions.

 Sam> We do?  please explain what it is.

	We call these packages kernel modules; and we have a process
 by which you inform make where the relevant kernel headers are to be
 found. make-kpkg automates that somewhat (and make-kpkg can be used
 for packages that are not kernel-modules, you know).

	A modification of this process would be possible; but I
 reietrate that any package that can not deal with the headers in
 /usr/include/linux is very closely dependent on kernel structures,
 and would need to ensure that the kernel-version running has the
 non-public API that it depends on.

 Sam>  Herbert produces kernel headers packages for all flavors of
 Sam>  kernels he produces.  I do not believe the other arches do this.

	This is not relevant.

	Out of curiosity, apart from linux/autoconf.h; what is the
 difference between the header packages on i386?

	manoj
--
 "Nuclear war would really set back cable." Ted Turner