Re: build depends on kernel-headers

>>"Aaron" == Aaron Lehmann <aaronl@vitelus.com> writes:

 Aaron> So you're saying it's better to hardcode syscall numbers and stuff
 Aaron> than using the kernel headers? Suuuure...

	We already have a process for packages that actually do need
 kernel headers, and are thus dependent on particular kernel
 versions. Are you also sure you have considered the impact of using
 one set of kernel structures, and linking with a libc that uses
 perhaps an incompatible set of kernel-structures?

	Kernel modules are loaded into the kernel, and thus are in the
 kernel's context, but user space modules, linked with libc, are
 playing with fire when they assume that the incompatible kernel
 structures they have been compiled with are not going to cause
 problems.

	If your package does meet the criteria, it is extremely rare,
 and I do not think it is wirth the infrastructure to cater to the
 very few packages that shall meet these criteria.

	manoj
--
 Under deadline pressure for the next week.  If you want something, it
 can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...