Re: Caching Proxy for apt-get via http?

On Sun, May 06, 2001 at 03:05:12PM +0100, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> On Sun, May 06, 2001 at 07:54:17AM +0200, Harald Dunkel wrote:
> > Does anybody out there know what is the problem here? Maybe its
> > the failure of Apache. What are your suggestions for running a
> > cache for apt-get?
>
> Umm... how about "apt-proxy"?

If you don't mind running (and debugging) experimental code..

Has a particularly hard time with round-robin mirrors not being in-sync,
or (I think) occationally a mirror not supporting rsync access at all.
Also has trouble with over-returning to the client. FE will return 5MB
of a 200k deb.. And it requires rsync access to the repository.

Despite all this, I did find it working a bit better on my dialup
connection than squid was.

Oh yeah, you'll want to give it a big cache, too. It doesn't seem to be
able to clean its own cache properly.

-- Ferret