Caching Proxy for apt-get via http?

Hi folks,

To reduce network load and speed up upgrades I have installed a
caching proxy on one of my machines (using Apache). But it
doesn't work very well. Packages are downloaded from http.us.debian.org,
even if they should have been taken from the cache due to an
upgrade of another machine just a few minutes ago.

The cache size is 300 MByte, so I doubt that this happens due to
lack of space. And cheating Round Robin by using an IP address
instead of 'http.us.debian.org' didn't help either.

Does anybody out there know what is the problem here? Maybe its
the failure of Apache. What are your suggestions for running a
cache for apt-get?

Regards

Harri